We all know that fiber is good for us and helps keep us healthy, but most of us still aren’t eating enough or we are trying to get it from all the wrong sources.
The current recommendations most of us are familiar with are to get somewhere between 20-25g of fiber a day, but in reality, to really reap the health benefits of a high fiber diet, you need more like 30-40g a day of a mix of soluble and insoluble fibers.
What are the real benefits of fiber and where can you get it from without indulging in a ton of carbs that you know you shouldn’t be eating?
- Helps you feel full longer by slowing your digestion: Better weight loss and weight loss management
- Controls blood sugar levels (decreases huge spikes and lows)
- Helps feed the good bacteria in your body, so it’s good for your gut biome
- Reduces IBS symptoms: Helps decrease inflammation in your digestive tract
- People who have a high fiber diet (30-40g a day) have a 40% less risk of heart disease
- Reduces your risk of stroke
- Better skin health
- Less risk of gall stones and kidney stones
Great! I’ve sold you on the benefits, but where are you going to get that good fiber from, right? Bran muffins? Come on, you know me better than that?
Where do you get more fiber from?
- Berries: blueberries, raspberries, strawberries and blackberries (maybe before or right after a workout to avoid the sugar spike)
- Vegetables like brussel sprouts, broccoli, leafy greens, green beans, cauliflower and peas
- Root veggies: tubers, unions, sweet potatoes
- Nuts: almonds, pecans and walnuts
- Psyllium seed husks, flax seed, chia seed
Maybe you are in a rush and you just want something quick you can add to your shake or smoothie. Don’t worry, I’ve got you covered! I have been adding one scoop of Digestive Health Boost, daily to my shake for a good while now. Pretty much the same as adding some extra psyllium, chia seed and flaxseed, without all the hassle.
Fiber is so much more important than I ever realized to living a truly healthy life and has a ton of benefits for much more than just keeping things moving along. Time for you to head out to the store (or if you are more like me, just grab some of that Digestive Health Boost I mentioned above and head over to Amazon (links below) to start adding more fiber to your daily nutrition plan right away.